I recently bought the Tokai 7″ inch LCMDX-2227MUC Portable DVD & DIVX Player to use with my new Plane Quiet NC-7 Noise Cancelling Headphones to watch DVD’s and MPEG4/DIVX files while travelling to and from work in Sydney on the train.
- I first considering purchasing an MP3/Video player like the Creative ZEN Vision W but it costs too much ($400+) and only has a 4.3″ inch screen
- After that I checked a lot of different electrical retailers like JB Hi FI, DSE and Strathfield Electronics only to find that they didn’t sell any portable DVD & DIVX/MPEG4 players for less than $200-$300.
- Eventually I ordered the Tokai 7″ inch LCMDX-2227MUC from Overstock Outlet (oo.com.au) for $147.45 delivered because it was well within my price range, played DIVX, could run off batteries and had several bonus features outlined below.
- Plays from DVD (+,-, R, RW) & CD (R, RW)/SD card/MMC card/Memory Stick/USB Drive
- File formats: DVD, MPEG, MPEG2, MPEG4, DIVX, XVID, MP3, JPEG, VCD, SVCD, AVI
- Basic buttons on player + Full function remote control
- Net Weight: 660 grams
- Other Information: input 100-240V, output 12V 1.2A
- Anti-shock memory
- Has a stand on the back so you can watch it while it’s on a table.
- Includes paper manual
- Battery life: 2.5 hrs (with 6xAA 2000mAH)
- Screen: 16:9 Widescreen format 7″ inch TFT LCD
- Default 16:9 playback, can switch to 4:3 using remote
- Composite AV output & input 3.5mm
- Plays NSTC and PAL
- Zoom function + Fastforward (2x, 4x, 8x, 20x)
- Can resume playing DVD’s from where they were last stopped playing
- Image adjustment (Contrast/Brightness/Colour/Vertical Flip display)
- Built-in 2 Channel stereo speakers (2 x 1W)
- Built-in Stereo Earphone jack
- Basic cheap earphones included
DVD Zone Unlocking
By default the LCMDX-2227MUC was locked to DVD Zone 4. Following the instructions below will unlock it to play any Zone DVD.
- Turn it on (without disc, camera card, or USB drive plugged in)
- Using the remote control type the figures: 6 7 6 5 0
- A menu will be display, choose AREA CODES
- Select 0 for Multizone.
- Turn it off.
- Turn it on, it can now play any Zone DVD
- It says DIVX3 is supported, but I couldnt get any files encoded with DIVX3 to play
- Doesn’t play high resolution DIVX files eg: DivX 5 1280×544
- If you’re playing off a DVD or CD than the player must be closed. You can only play files from a Camera card or USB Drive with the lid open.
- If you want to watch it on the train, bus etc you need to buy a case from somewhere
- Note to be able to use it for portable playback I had to buy 6x AA NIMH batteries from Jaycar (Pack of 4 for $19.50 (CAT #SB1738) and 2 singles for $5.95 each (CAT #SB1744) = $31.40 total). The manual says to use 2000mAH AA’s but I bought 2500mAH batteries instead to get 25% more playback time and they work fine. You can recharge them using your own NIMH battery recharger or by putting them in the player and plugging it into mains power (16 hrs for 2000mAH or 20hrs for 2500mAH).